We at theUNDERGROUND hope you and your family had a great march break! We are back this week into our midweek routine and excited to be on week 2 of our Transform series. Here’s a bit of what we will be talking about.
Big Idea: God calls us to share the good news about Jesus with others and invite them to get to know him too!
Key Scripture: Acts 2:37-47 & 2 Timothy 1:5-10
What is so cool about this passage is that it’s a picture of what we talked about last week, a community that is committed to growth—to becoming a transforming community. This passage says that after they believed, people continued to learn, they met together, they shared everything they had, and lived on less so that they could give to others. That’s such a beautiful picture of a community becoming more and more Christ-like!
And that last line of the passage is one that really hits home tonight. It doesn’t say all these amazing things about how they were living and growing as a community and end with, “And they retreated and lived happily ever after”. It says, “And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.”
Others were invited into what God was doing, invited to join in this crazy experience, and to be part of it! Others heard the good news of Jesus and jumped on board.
We live in an age where eye contact, quality time, and meaningful discussions are being replaced by texts, likes, and 140 character or less messages. We are more connected than ever, but do people know what matters most to us? Do they know what makes us who we are, what we’re passionate about?
If you were to ask your friends to describe you, what would they say? If they were asked what kind of person you are, what you are all about, what is most important to you, how would they respond? What makes you, you?
Now, think about what you would want them to say. Do those things line up? Or do you have some work to do?
Sometimes, people don’t realize what’s important to us because we don’t give them a chance to experience it with us.
As a community, The Meeting House has a goal of seeing 100,000 personally introduced to the message of Jesus. If 5,000 people introduced 5 people a year to the transforming message of Jesus over the next 4 years, 100,000 people would receive a message worth hearing.
We want to be a community that invites “the other” to be apart of us. We don’t want to be a closed off social club that keeps the Gospel (the good news) to ourselves but we want to do what Jesus commands of us in Matthew 28:16-20, to tell others the good news about him, and to invite them to be apart of his family.
Questions around the dinner table:
- Share a story about a time when you were super pumped to invite someone to come and see it.
- Why do we always want to invite people to come and be apart of something amazing? Birthday parties, events, holidays, celebrations etc.
- If your friends at school were asked to share 3 things about you, what would they be? Would they fall in line with what God’s best for you would be?
- Why do you think Jesus commands us to go out and make disciples? Is part of that inviting them to be apart of your life and community?
- What are some ways you can take part in the Transform mission goal in the next few weeks?
- Spend some time praying for specific people that God would give you opportunity to invite them into your life, community and a relationship with Jesus.