Sex – Sex – Sex – Distinguishing truth from lies
Read 1 Corinthians 6:15-20
This is the week of the year when awkward conversations reign supreme at theUNDERGROUND. This is SEX week at theUNDERGROUND the week when we dive into the topic that everyone is thinking about but never feel its appropriate to talk about at church. This week we will be talking about how Sex was created and designed by God to be good and what his intentions are for it.
BIG IDEA: God created sex to be beautiful, amazing, and fulfilling within the specific context of marriage.
We live in a sex-saturated world. And for many of us, sex has become a purely physical act, fully divorced from spirituality, love, and commitment. Sex, pornography, and “hooking up” are all met with the same response in our culture: “It’s no big deal.”
Let’s look together at 5 lies about sex from our culture:
Lie #1: Sex is no BIG DEAL
Lie #2: Sex is purely PHYSICAL
Lie #3: God is DOWN on sex
Lie #4: Everyone is DOING IT
– Almost 50% of students graduate from high school a virgin, so not everyone’s doing it!
Lie #5: It’s impossible to be PURE
– Sex saved for the context of marriage is the way God created sex to be used. You don’t need sex to live. You need air, water, and food to live, not sex.
Let’s look together at 3 truths about the creator of sex:
Truth #1: God isn’t into RULES, he’s into LIFE
– Jesus said, ”The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness.” (John 10:10, NLT)
Truth #2: God is more concerned about your HEART than your ACTIONS
– “Blind Pharisees! First wash the inside of the cup, and then the outside will become clean, too. You try to look like upright people outwardly, but inside your hearts are filled with hypocrisy and lawlessness.” (Matthew 23:26, 28, NLT)
Truth #3: God offers you wisdom, FORGIVENESS, and hope
– “When I think of the wisdom and scope of God’s plan, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father.” (Ephesians 3:14, NLT)
– “But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong.” (1 John 1:9, NLT)
– “So I pray that God, who gives you hope, will keep you happy and full of peace as you believe in him.” (Romans 15:13, NLT)
Action #1: Understand that your sexual decisions will leave LIFE-LONG MEMORIES
– You will not be able to shut off memories that are deeply imbedded in your mind.
– 2% of high school relationships last into marriage. Don’t think you can take that risk.
Action #2: Recognize the importance of establishing sexual BOUNDARIES
Action #3: Check out God’s plan for PURE and GOOD SEX
– God’s view on sex is counter-cultural.
– Our culture, our bodies, and every fiber of our beings screams for sex, but God says wait because he has something better and lasting for you.
– God’s approach to sex is responsible, intimate, disciplined, pleasurable, committed, passionate sex in the context of marriage.
Questions around the dinner table:
- What are you hearing or seeing at school regarding sex.
- How is sex being represented in the world today? How is this different than how God created it to originally be?
- Crossing the line. What are your thoughts on boundaries? Where do you/where would you draw the line? How did you come to your conclusions? Bruxy once said: “If you feel the need to keep your physical life a secret from the world, something is wrong.” Thoughts?
- What do you think God has to say about Sex through the Bible?
- How does your physical relationship with someone affect your life now? How might it affect your future relationships or marriage (if you choose to marry)?